As signatories to the ITER Agreement, the ITER Members China, the European Union, India, Japan, Korea, Russia and the United States will share in the cost of project construction, operation and decommissioning, and also share in the experimental results and any intellectual property generated by the project. Twenty years of collaborative research experiments are planned on the machine.
Europe is responsible for the largest portion of construction costs (45.6 percent); the remainder is shared equally by China, India, Japan, Korea, Russia and the US (9.1 percent each). The Members contribute very little monetary contribution to the project: instead, nine-tenths of contributions will be delivered to the ITER Organization in the form of completed components, systems or buildings. In this way, the scientific and industrial fabric in each Member is prepared for the step after ITER
—the conception and realization of the type of prototype fusion reactor that will demonstrate industrial-scale fusion electricity within this half of the century. For all Members, the potential benefits of participation are significant: by contributing a portion of the project's costs, Members benefit from 100 percent of the scientific results and all generated intellectual property.
Each Member has created a Domestic Agency to fulfil its procurement responsibilities to ITER. These agencies employ their own staff, have their own budget, and contract directly with industry. Communication between the ITER Organization and the Domestic Agencies is facilitated by state-of-the-art collaborative CAD design tools, integrated project teams for specific components or projects, and video conferencing. The working language for the project is English.
Taken together, the ITER Members represent three continents, over 40 languages, half of the world's population and 85 percent of global gross domestic product. In the offices of the ITER Organization and the Domestic Agencies, in laboratories and in industry, literally thousands of people are working toward the success of ITER.
The ITER Organization has also concluded non-Member technical cooperation agreements with Australia
(through the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, ANSTO in 2016); Kazakhstan
(through Kazakhstan's National Nuclear Center in 2017), and Canada
Click on the flags at the bottom of the page to visit the websites of the seven ITER Domestic Agencies.
The United Kingdom will continue to participate in ITER post-Brexit through its membership in Fusion for Energy, the European Domestic Agency for ITER. See more here.
- EU delegation | "What we see is very comforting"
- Fusion codes and standards | Award for ITER Japan's Hideo Nakajima
- Fusion in the United States | A vision and a plan
- Brexit | The UK will remain part of ITER
- United States | A strategic plan to deliver fusion energy
- Cooperation | Canada returns to the table
- Start of assembly | World dignitaries celebrate a collaborative achievement
- ITER kicks off assembly | President Macron to host virtual celebration
- Council milestone #50 | The way to assembly is open
- Europe-Japan | An even Broader Approach
- Brexit | What should ITER expect?
- Research | ITER Scientist Fellows are at the cutting edge
- "Friendship Award"| China honours ITER Director-General
- In memoriam | What ITER owes President Chirac
- India | Modi praises ITER at UNESCO
- Canada | Exploring possibilities
- Symposium in Japan | Fusion attracts strong political support
- US National Academies | "US should remain in ITER"
- Fusion electricity | Navigating Europe's course
- Stakeholders | ITER's biggest partner pledges full support
- State visit | ITER on Macron-Trump agenda
- Stakeholders | Europe's vote of confidence
- Building ITER | Halfway to First Plasma
- Businesses, jobs, technology | ITER's impact on European economy and society
- Intellectual property | ITER Members share inventions and solutions
- ITER signs Cooperation Agreement with Kazakhstan
- Welcome Australia!
- 35 nations, 40 languages ... which culture?
- The world's largest Erector Set